How to take care of your teeth.
Our teeth are very important to us and we must take good care of them to remain healthy. The following tips will help us take care of our teeth.
- You need a good toothbrush. A good brush must have standing well-packed bristles. The head should be small enough (about 2cm) to move easily inside the mouth
- Change your toothbrush every 3 months
- Do not share toothbrush
- Your toothbrush should be medium or soft textured unless otherwise prescribed by your dentist or doctor
- Use toothpaste that has Fluoride. Fluoride helps to strengthen the tooth against acid attacks. Check and ensure that your toothpaste contains fluoride
- Brushing time: Make time to clean all surfaces of your teeth thoroughly at least for 2 to 3 minutes. Ideally, twice daily brushing should be after breakfast and last thing at night before going to bed
- Brushing up: Children below the age of 6 years should be assisted in brushing by parents /guardian
- How to brush: Apply the brush horizontal to the surface of the teeth. Repeatedly move the brush upwards and downwards ensuring that both outer and inner surfaces of the teeth are brushed
- See your dentist regularly. See a dentist at least once in six months. Stubborn stains, plaque and hard deposits called calculus are better removed by the dentist.
Compiled with Tips from Dr. Ifeanyi Azuarah – in Lagos, Nigeria.