Five ways to kick-start your day smoothly
Mornings can be very hard to cope with. It becomes harder at times when it is a Monday morning. Sometimes one just feels like staying in bed a bit longer. But there is work to do and one must get up and go. Here are five sure fire things that will get you started on a refreshing note on any Monday morning.
- Wake up early and don’t snooze. Waking up early helps you to get the head start you need. It buys you more time to plan and meditate on the success of last week and the hopes for the new week. It also helps you to itemize the things you need to be grateful for and those that require more work.
2. Make your bed. In 2014, U.S Naval Adm. William H. McRaven — the man who led the SEAL team that hunted for Osama bin Laden — gave a speech at the University of Texas. During the speech, he made one vital point: If you want to change the world, start by making your bed. One thing this achieves is that it gives you a sense of achievement.
“If you make your bed every morning, you will have accomplished the first task of the day,” says McRaven. “It will give you a small sense of pride, and it will encourage you to do another task and another and another. By the end of the day, that one task completed will have turned into many tasks completed.”
- Go outside and breathe fresh air. Dario Zadro, author of the article, 10 ways to have a refreshingly great morning said, “Nature is so peaceful and it can really awaken our spirits. I take my dog for a 15-minute walk every morning, rain or shine. I often joke and wonder if it’s benefiting my dog or me more? Or, you might go for a jog.” It is a very practical step. The sunlight, the breeze and the burst of energy you feel will turbo charge you for the rest of the week.
- Drink Water. Drinking water immediately after you wake up, kicks up your metabolism and clears the brain. Many people have found it even more beneficial to add some lime or lemon to the water. The vitamin C in the citrus additive works a whole lot of wonders too.
- Eat Breakfast. Digestion, respiration and all other vital body activities continue even while people are asleep, so refuelling is necessary if the engine must run optimally throughout the day. Experts agree that breakfast gives the brain vital nutrients that it needs in order to optimally carry out mental processes throughout the day. So you need to eat breakfast.