26 Amazing Benefits Of Peanuts For Skin, Hair And Health
The most common ways of using peanuts in India is in the form of oil and as roasted snack.
Peanuts are popularly used as seed oil in India. Since they are obtained from the ground, they are also
sometimes called as groundnuts and also known as ‘Mungfali‘ inHindi, ‘Pallelu‘ in Telugu, ‘Kadalai‘ in Tamil, ‘Nilakkadala‘ in Malayalam, ‘Kadale kaayi‘ in Kannada, ‘Singdana‘ in Gujarati and ‘Shengdaane‘ in Marathi. Peanuts are easily available round the year and almost everywhere in India. They are easily available round the year and almost everywhere in India.
Peanuts are also taken as snacks in many households especially in India. In reality, peanuts are actually legumes. But since they have all the properties of nuts like almonds, cashew nuts, etc., these are also included in the family of nuts.
Peanuts Nutrition Chart: (USDA)
Peanuts Nutrition Chart
Health Benefits of Peanuts:
Here are some of the most well-known health benefits of Peanuts.
1. Rich in Energy:
Peanuts contain vitamins, minerals, nutrients and anti-oxidants and thus are rich energy sources (1).
It lowers bad cholesterol and increases good cholesterol in the body (2). Peanuts contain mono-unsaturated fatty acids especially oleic acid that prevents coronary diseases.
Peanuts are rich in proteins. The amino acids present in them are good for proper growth and development of body (3).
4. Fights Stomach Cancer:
Poly-phenolic anti-oxidants are present in the peanuts in high concentrations. P-Coumaric acid has the ability to reduce the risk of stomach cancer by reducing the productions of carcinogenic nitrous-amines (4).
5. Fights against Heart Diseases, Nerves Diseases, Alzheimer’s Disease, and Infections:
A poly-phenolic anti-oxidant, Resveratrol present in peanuts prevents heart diseases, cancers, nervous diseases and viral or fungal infections efficiently (5).
6. Reduces the Chances of Stroke:
The anti-oxidant, Resveratrol in peanuts prevents heart strokes by increasing the production of nitric oxide (6).
Peanuts contain anti-oxidants in high concentrations (7). These anti-oxidants become more active when peanuts are boiled. There is a 2-fold increase in Biochanin-A and 4-fold increase in Genistein content. These reduce the damage done by free radicals produced in the body.
8. Protects Skin:
Vitamin E in peanuts helps in maintaining the integrity of cells of mucous membrane and the skin. This protects them from free radicals which cause great damage (8).
Peanuts contain B complex, vitamins like niacin, riboflavin, thiamin, vitamin B6, vitamin B9, pantothenic acid etc (9).
Potassium, manganese, copper, calcium, magnesium, iron, selenium and zinc are some of the minerals present in peanuts. These play an important role in many different body functions (10).
11. Gall Stones:
Just an ounce of peanuts or two tablespoons of peanut butter each week can save you from gall stones or gallbladder diseases with 25% reduced risk. This amazing health benefit of peanuts keeps all the diseases at bay (11).
12. Low Risk of Weight Gain:
Women who eat peanuts or peanut butter at least twice a week are less likely to be susceptible to obesity than those who don’t. If you eat peanut butter every morning with bread slices, you have less chances of gaining weight (12).
13. Colon Cancer:
Peanuts can reduce colon cancer especially in women. Eating at least 2 spoons of peanut butter twice a week can reduce the risk of colon cancer in women by up to 58% and in men by up to 27%. This is one of the best benefits of peanuts for women (13).
14. Helps in Fertility:
If taken before and during early pregnancy, the folic acid lowers the risk of baby being born with serious neural tube defects reduced by up to 70% (14).
15. Regulates Blood Sugar:
Manganese in peanuts helps in calcium absorption, fats and carbohydrates metabolism and sugar level regulation in blood (15).
16. Fights Depression:
Low Serotonin levels leads to depression. Tryptophan in peanuts increases the release of this chemical and thus helps you fight depression (16).
Eating peanut benefits health in many ways and you should make it a point to take in a minimum of two tablespoons of peanut butter each week in order to keep those dangerous diseases away and stay healthy!
Peanut Benefits Of Skin:
Apart from satisfying hunger pangs, consumption of peanuts also makes the skin smooth, supple and younger looking.
Some of the benefits of peanuts for skin include:
17. The anti-inflammatory properties of peanuts treat skin disorders like psoriasis and eczema. The fatty acids present in peanuts also reduce swelling and skin redness. Peanuts contain Vitamin E, zinc and magnesium, which keeps the skin glowing from within and fights the bacteria that lead to acne. The protein content in peanuts also helps with cell regeneration (17).
18. Peanuts contain a relatively good amount of fatty acids which is believed to be critical to the brain’s nerve cells. This brain friendly cell helps with stress management and mood swings to prevent various skin disorders like wrinkles, fine line and dullness.
19. Fiber in nuts is essential for the elimination of toxins and waste. Toxins inside the body reflect on our outside appearance, causing breakout, dullness and excess oil. Eating peanuts regularly helps flush out excess toxins from the body to give you a healthy skin (18).
20. Peanut is loaded with magnesium (19) which calms our nerve, muscles and blood vessels to provide better blood flow to the skin. This, in turn, gives you a youthful and healthy skin.
21. Skin damage occurs as a result of oxidation, a chemical process in which unstable molecules called free radicals steal electrons from healthy cells. Vitamin E in peanuts defends our skin’s cells against the damage of oxidative stress. It guards our skin from the harsh UV rays of the sun to protect against sun burn and skin damage (20).
22. Signs of ageing like wrinkles, discoloration and decreased elasticity are one of our biggest beauty concerns. Peanut contains significant amount of Vitamin C which is required for the production of collagen. Collagen is required to sustain tendons, skin and cartilage. It provides firmness and elasticity to the skin to keep it young and supple.
23. Beta carotene, an antioxidant found in peanuts (21) is very critical for skin’s health. It is converted into Vitamin A in the body which helps in the growth and repair of body tissues. Thus peanuts help to heal wounds and bruises at a faster pace.
24. Peanuts are packed with omega 3 fatty acids which help our skin in many ways (22). Omega 3 fatty acids reduce inflammation in the body to prevent skin eruptions. It lowers the risk of developing squamous cell skin cancer. It also moisturizes and hydrates the skin from within to treat dry and scaly skin.
25. Peanuts are very effective for treating skin problems like pustules, skin rashes and rosacea.
26. Peanut butter facial mask is gaining immense popularity these days. Applying natural peanut butter on the face clears away the dirt and impurities to give you a healthy looking skin. Wash your face with a cleanser and then apply peanut butter on your entire face. Allow the mask to dry and then wash it off by massaging your skin slowly in circular motions. Rinse your face with warm water and pat dry. Do a patch test first and then apply it to the entire face as allergic reactions are very common side effects of peanuts. Those who are allergic to peanuts should stay away from it (23).